| 0 comments ]

IMG_9317_BLOG
I wanted people to know that I'm not a runner and I never have been.

I only said it to encourage our listeners.

I revealed a childhood nickname.

Turtle.

My childhood softball coach, of all people, gave it to me. Isn't that a great way to build self-esteem in shy little girl? Turtle. I could throw. I could hit the ball. I could catch. I was a GREAT catcher. Man, I could block the plate.

But I couldn't run.

It's haunted me all these years. I've actually avoided sports where I had to run because I didn't want to get made fun of for my lack of speed. By the way, that means I've pretty much avoided every sport. I'm closing in on 30 and I still have that stupid comment ringing in the back of my mind. It's a pretty strong reminder I should carefully choose the words I use and the power one little word has to a person.

But I've decided that I'm bigger than a stupid comment. Sticks and stones, right? Last year I started training for the River Valley Run 5K held at our "sister ministry" River Valley Ranch. I've photographed the run for the past 3 years, but decided last year I was going to run it...until I got the call that they needed me to do photos again. Oh well. This time around, no matter what happens, I am doin' this thang.

Which brings me back to the beginning of this post. I've got 6 months to train and to get myself in motion and ready. I'm starting at zero. I found the Couch To 5K site which has a ton of great resources for people who are just starting out. My favorite find is a set of training podcasts that a guy named Robert Ullrey has put together. Each podcast has techno/pop/energetic music and Robert gives cues when to walk/run. I'm loving it. I'm loving it so much, I decided that I should pass it along to our listeners.

That's when it happened.

I revealed my nickname. I hadn't planned on it, but I wanted people to know that if I can do it, they can too. And then...I got made fun of. By my show partner. And it was probably one of the funniest things I've experienced in a while.

Take a listen for yourself.

www.tips-fb.com
, ,

Post a Comment

I appreciate what you have to say. Thank you for taking time to leave a comment :-D!

~ Erin